Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Mama's little girl

I was happy to speak to Halina today (Kathleen's mom). She has been a real trooper through everything and I admire her for her courage. I can also appreciate how challenging it's been for her. When I asked her who her go-to person was, she quietly said "no-one" - at least not nearby. She then started to weep, saying that if she could go through this ordeal for Kathleen, she would. No parent can bear to see their child suffer - regardless of their age. I know Kathleen is in the best hands with Halina, Terry, Colleen, Christina, our sister Felicity, our Dad's daily calls, the doctors, and all the love from God, our family and her friends.

I too remembered that when I first found out about Kathleen's breast cancer, I cried and cried. Why her? She's too good! It's unfair, especially after all she's been through! Some experiences few of us could even imagine...being held up by gunpoint at a bank, being assaulted by her first husband, difficult 2nd divorce, encountering one health challenge after another, and then this? I also wanted to go through this procedure in her place. Have my breast removed, undergo chemo, lose my hair...

And then all of a sudden, a higher truth was revealed and that train of thought took a u-turn. Despite all her challenges, she has become an even better, more loving, more giving person. She has become a tremendous role model for others, including myself. The gifts she's acquired have been priceless. And who am I to take away this gift of learning that has been intended for her right now? I realise that this too has been put in her path and the best I can do is to love her and support her during her journey. I truly believe that she will rise above and shine even brighter. And that she will inspire, live more fully, and learn how to receive more love than ever before.

The greatest gifts in life don't come in Tiffany boxes. They are packaged in the most unpleasant, scariest, most upsetting forms. It is up to us to courageously unwrap them, layer by layer, to reveal the precious gift that lies within. Like diamonds, the most resilient and most precious gemstone of them all are formed under pressure.

Rise and shine in your greatness, Kathleen.

xp