Thursday, May 25, 2006

Quality Questions

I have learned that the quality of our life reflects the quality of the questions we ask ourselves. In other words, if we don't like the answers we're getting, ask a better question.

This may seem as foreign to many of you as it was to me a few years ago. I didn't realise I could ask questions. I just struggled through life until, I (1) learned I could ask myself questions and (2) gave myself the permission to do so. The more I asked questions, the better I became at it.
I knew that if the quality of my life was to be improved, I had to be the cause. For me, a quality moment creates a compelling future filled with sweet anticipation.

As I've shared with you in a previous blog entry, the last words Kathleen said to her doctor before going into surgery for her mastectomy was "You were born for this very moment". I found this to be a very profound expression and I have been using it in my life ever since.

I was faced with a challenging situation recently and so I turned Kathleen's expression into a question, How were you born for this very moment?

All of a sudden a vast amount of resources from within presented themselves and I knew the solution. From that day, I acknowledge the choices or decisions I make that improve the quality of my life. I usually start with one of these questions:

What were the choices I made that improved the quality of my life today?
What didn't I do that improved the quality of my life today?

Through this campaign, I have rediscovered just how important it is to live each day by being fully present and fulfilled. Life ain't no dress rehearsal. The past is in the past, the future is yet to come, the power is in the present moment.

When faced with uncertainty, I sit quietly. Instead of controlling the mind, I control the body (which controls the mind) - I breath deeply, I stretch, I calm. Sometimes, I ask God for assistance. Let the answers be known...

"How can I best live my way into the answers?"

Here's to living a quality life today.

love, p x