Monday, May 22, 2006

Love by Default

I'd like to honour another sister, Candy, for all her prayers and well wishes for Kathleen. I know that in her special way, she is making a difference to Kathleen and the family.

Our family is extended in a modern world kind of way. My dad has been married a few times so we have added offspring to the family throughout the years. As a result, I have had the fortune of sharing life with a diverse mix of siblings who see the world in equally diverse perspectives.

Candy is the eldest daughter and is much older than I - 12 years to be exact (2 years older than Kathleen). Funny, at my age of 37, it doesn't sound that big of an age gap. Yet when I was a little girl, it seemed as wide as the Grand Canyon. This is an old photo of us - 20 years to be precise. I'm so grateful I still have it as it's the only photo with all of our Dad's daughters together - Candy, Kathleen and myself. (Big hair fashion police would arrest us on the spot in this day and age.)

We've all grown up into unique, loving and talented women, each making our own special contribution in this world. Over the years, there have been times it felt as if this has led us opposite directions. Admittedly there were moments I had wondered if we really have enough in common to bridge the gaps of time. Then I thought again. I have learned that despite the distance, true connection exists from where we live in our hearts vs. where we live in this world. Whilst I haven't seen Candy in several years, I love her by default in a sisterhood kind of way.

To me, loving by default requires no effort. It exists without judgement, without fear of rejection, without the distance of time and geography.

It comes with a full heart of warmth and acceptance of the other. From the very same heart as our Creator that exists within everything. The Universe. You & me. All living things.

With love and blessings to Candy, Kathleen and all my extended family...

xp