Thursday, April 27, 2006

In & Out Surgery

Kathleen’s minor surgery was a success. The procedure only took about 2 hours and the doctor removed all the dead tissue (it appears that some of her stomach skin didn’t take to the reconstructed breast). She’s wrapped in an ace bandage like a mummy so she doesn’t know how it looks. The doc had to put a tube in to ease the draining, yet all this is necessary to speed up the healing of the breast so that she can commence chemotherapy in 3 to 4 weeks.

I’m planning my trip to Florida to be with Kathleen during the commencement of her chemo. The countdown of the campaign begins and we’ve got just 37 days to go and $3700 left to raise. There will be a series of bouncing events in Florida during the final leg of the tour. We’re confident that we can achieve our goal with the help of so many wonderful individuals who love stepping up in making a difference. I consider the job done and we will all have the pleasure of discovering the history we created together.

I can’t begin to tell you just how much my upcoming visit with Kathleen means to me. Every bounce I make, I do for her. When she’s weak – I focus my energy her way. This B4B tour began as a pilgrimage for her. Whilst there are parts to this campaign that have elements of creativity, fun and eccentricity, Kathleen’s breast cancer has impacted my life in a profound way. I am forever changed. I think differently now for I too have sought to find a new meaning to the effects of cancer and reflected upon my life.

In a two-day business progression workshop I facilitated this week, I realised just how much the B4B campaign has taught me. I re-assessed my values and discovered what my true life purpose is: To consistently improve the quality of my life and to help others to do the same. The question that has helped me get clarity on this subject is: Am I alive or am I living?

The greatest gift I have received is that I am increasingly living within my core in just about everything I do – personally, professionally, emotionally, physically, mentally and spiritually. In order to experience this quality of living, I had to learn the most fundamental life lesson which has taken 37 years to master. I am at my very best when I became who I was all along. All I needed to do is to be me.

Kathleen’s experience, my admiration and respect for her, and this campaign is a reflection of all that. Thanks to all she has taught me, I am proud to say that I am living!


xp