Sunday, April 16, 2006

Happy Bunny

It's official, I've gone completely mad for this campaign! Never thought I'd find myself bouncing in a bunny costume 20,000 times over 4 hours in front of thousands of passers-by on a bank holiday weekend. But that's what I love about life - EVERYTHING is possible when we put our minds to it.

I must admit I was a bit nervous as I was walking towards the South Bank to an area next to the London Eye. I felt a bit ridiculous and I thought to myself, "What the hell am I doing?". Then, I changed my focus. It's not about me afterall, it's about my sister being able to pay her mortgage and utilities. It's about her having proper nutrition - organic veggies and fruits to help speed up her recovery. It's about my nieces being supported during this time. It's about the petrol it costs to drive 6 hours round trip to see her doctors once a week. It's about the seemingly small incremental medical costs that mount up to hundreds of dollars within a day, a week or a month. It's clearly not about me afterall. So with courage hand in hand with love, I was committed to complete what I set out to do.

Twenty minutes into the bounce amidst many entertained supporters, security approached us and announced that I was not permitted there. After the weeks of planning and mustering up super hero inner strength, there was no way I was going to hang up my bunny ears and fold up my trampoline without exploring what ways we could stay that would be a win-win for everybody. Ten minutes later, the situation was resolved based on one condition; we could not accept money for our cause. I gave them my word and I was just so grateful that they allowed us to stay until I completed 20,000 bounces - my personal goal. We never turned away so much money in our life - an estimated £500. In fact, the £46 that was donated to us in the first 20 minutes will be given to the South Bank governing body so they can donate it to a charity of their cause. This sincere gesture is to establish that we have a bonafide personal campaign with heart and integrity at its core. After all, today was about having fun and raising awareness through talking to people - that's exactly what we did.

As you can imagine, the rest of the day meant even more to me. "Bless my cotton socks", I repeated as I bounced. I soaked up the smiles and support from onlookers, especially from the little children who were excited by the presence of the Easter Bunny.

Thanks to the B4B family (Christoph, Diana, and Charlotte) who were present to share enthusiasm and information about our cause. Thanks also to Felicity for the lucky socks you sent; they did the trick.

Kathleen, an invisible Easter Egg is on its way to you filled with greetings, prayers, love and well wishes.