Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Day 55 – 550,053 bounces

It just dawned on me that Saturday (the bunny bounce) marked the 50th day – half way through this personal campaign in support of Kathleen and her kids. Looking back, I’m amazed at how far we’ve come:

  • Raised just over $6200, through donations from all over the world
  • Bounced in 3 countries India, France and UK- totalling 550, 053 bounces
  • Grown a team of FUNdraisers
  • Found fantastic sponsors
  • Run a blog
  • Launched our website www.bouncingforbreastcancer.org
  • Created an on-line shop with novelty tshirts and merchandise
  • Caught press attention to an initial circulation of 1.5 million

Not bad at all. However, the heart of this campaign- THE PURPOSE of why we’re here in the first place lies with Kathleen’s experience with breast cancer. Her daily life and how far she’s come:

  • Had a single mastectomy and reconstruction
  • Confirmed that she had stage 2 cancer and lymph nodes were clear
  • Been scheduled for minor surgery to help her healing of skin
  • Come to terms with the fact she’ll need chemo. As of recent, she learned that due to the size of the cysts that were removed, they can only assume cancerous cells exist elsewhere in her body. Therefore, she is urged to proceed with chemo ASAP.
  • Become even closer to her daughter and family
  • Received more love, blessings and prayers from around the world that ever in her life.
  • Found new meaning in her life and her way forward

Day 55 and I’ve not seen Kathleen yet, though we speak very frequently. I will be with her in mid May, after her chemo begins. I cannot begin to express the emotions I have regarding our visit. Being far away geographically, this almost feels unreal. Yet it’s very real, I know. For some reason, seeing her will make it all the more real for me.

If anyone following this story and has contacts with airlines, I am looking for a sponsor to bring me home to my sister.

With love and blessings xp