Thursday, June 15, 2006

What is time?

Is it the end or the beginning? Or is it really just the meaning we give it?

I arrived back in London this morning. At Gatwick airport, I stopped by WH Smith to buy a magazine. Not just any magazine though - Take a Break (issue dated 22 June- issue 25). Opening to page 35, I saw our story, along with 1.5 million people in the UK: "Bouncing the World for Kathleen".

I felt as though I have been detached from time since February 24th when the campaign for my sister began. It's been a bit surreal - unlike anything I've experienced before. I have travelled to 7 countries (3 continents), bounced more times and hours than even I could fathom, raised $10,000 for Kathleen with help of my loving husband and the B4B family, raised awareness of the B4B story to over a million people through radio and press, grown a team of FUNdraisers, and spent two weeks with Kathleen, her mom and her kids - helping out in all ways that were needed. Plus, I just managed to keep work going. I learned so much and taught myself so many winning strategies that I am now applying to other areas of my life. I lived a huge range of emotions at a profound level.

Yesterday was a very emotional day for everyone. Kathleen and I could hardly find the words to say what this time has meant to us. What a journey this has been.

She didn't know how to thank me. Where to place everything that this campaign has provided her. "Just place it in your heart", I said. What I've done was born out of all the love, care, friendship and support she provided me since I was came into this world 37 years ago. It's a life cycle of love that has come back to her.

She couldn't believe that I put my life on hold for 4 months to help her out. She said that I gave her life.

I let her words sink in. Then it came to me... Did I put my life on hold or did I begin living? What is 4 months in a lifetime? I lived every moment FULLY. It is she that I must thank. In her time of great need, life asked me to step up and I did. Simple. There was no choice - it's who I am. I began to live in a bigger way, without inhibition or fear. I was authentic in myself to serve another. In the process, I served myself deeply at the level of the heart. I was helping others, getting fit and having fun all at once.

What is time? At a micro level, it may be a beginning or an end. In the bigger picture, it's part of a process. It's part of life. In fact, it's what we make of it. It's not how long we live that's important, it's how we live.

It's how we turn the challenges in life into gifts of learning and empowering moments. It's how life calls us to step up and lead from the heart. So often these past few months, I've heard many say they're a cancer survivor. How can they make this an empowering experience, I thought to myself? How can this be the beginning of a new and extraordinary life? Is it really about being a cancer survivor or a life thriver? For to thrive is to grow strong, to do well and be successful. Spiritually, mentally, and physically. To not give up. Individuals who have been affected by cancer have a depth of learning, skills and compassion greater than most.

It was a tearful farewell. What precious moments we all shared. What healing and peace we shared. What extraordinary love we share. In my husband's beautiful words, "It's not the end, but the beginning of reliving so many wonderful and rich memories." Those will never end.

It was time for me to let go. Just enough to return to my husband, our cat, and my businesses. How do I let go exactly? B4B has become a big mission for me. Each day, my thoughts and focus were about bouncing, planning bounces, updating the blog and FUNdraising.

Where do we go from here? Whilst it's the end of the campaign for Kathleen, it's the beginning of the campaign to help many more. Plus, Kathleen wants to step up to run the B4B campaign in the USA.

If you are a single mum with breast cancer or know single mums who have breast cancer and need help, please contact us through our website http://www.bouncingforbreastcancer.org.

Love and light. xp